Job Title: Project Engineer – Structural
The Project Engineer will contribute to our Structural team by completing structural design and analysis tasks while functioning as a lead engineering contributor on projects. As a member of the Structural division, this position will independently perform well-defined and increasingly complex structural design of heavy civil and ports/harbor work and provide support services for transportation, and civil engineering projects.
- Perform in-depth technical review of all phases of assigned structural engineering design projects including leading conceptual development efforts, performing review of design progress, and preparing final contract plans.
- Produce and manage preliminary and final design/engineering, develop alternatives, supply sub-consultant data, review plans at detailed level, provide leadership and guidance to technicians, drafters and checkers, provide technical client communications and product reports.
- Coordinate multiple project deliverables and communicate regularly with Project Managers, and coordinate priorities with Group Managers and Principals.
- Write technical specifications, reports, and other correspondence to a variety of audiences
- Conform with OBEC standards and best practices
- Work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams
- Perform independent checking of the design work of other team members
- Interact with clients and subconsultants; develop client interaction skills, and attend meetings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Minimum of five (5) years’ professional experience that includes relevant, transferable design, field engineering, and/or project experience as a designer or engineer
- Five (5) years’ experience with Port & Marine Design, preferred
- Five (5) years’ experience with Structural Design (i.e. reinforced and pre-stressed concrete, steel, masonry, and timber)
- Ability to perform complex engineering calculations, and structural detailing
- Experience with three-dimensional linear and nonlinear, static and dynamic computer modeling including experience using any of the following: GT STRUDL, RISA, MIDAS or SAP 2000.
- Advanced knowledge of the ASCE/COPRI 61-14, MOTEMS, IBC and/or AASHTO LRFD Design Specifications
- Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suites (Outlook, Word, Excel) and MathCAD
- Experience in a consulting engineering/business environment
- Exceptional technical and communication skills
- Inspection/Construction experience, preferred
- Seismic Design Experience using pushover and/or multi-modal response spectra analyses, preferred
- Exercises independent judgment
- Has project management oversight
- Establishes direction and parameters on moderately complex projects
- Directs assigned project staff on routing operational matters, problem-solving, and meeting deliverables
- Prepares technical recommendations and is responsible for technical decisions within scope of work
- Decisions are subject to senior project management and/or senior engineering review
- Accountable for technical performance on projects and for successful completion of assigned project tasks in the required timeframes and within the allotted budget
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
This work is typically done within an office environment with occasional field work at project/construction sites. When field assignments are required, the working conditions/physical requirements for field staff apply.
- Normal working hours will be 8 am – 5 pm, but may vary depending on project demands.
- Overtime work may be required based on work deadlines
- Extended periods of sitting, standing, and walking around the office; occasional field assignment supporting engineering design functions
- Ability to move or lift moderate size packages up to 30 lbs
- Prolonged physical activity involving standing, walking, bending, reaching, lifting, pulling, and swinging.
- Strong balance and agility to occasionally climb ladders and/or crawl through openings
- Ability to perform onsite structural condition assessments over water
|Opening Date: November 3, 2014||Closing Date: Open until filled|
|Position Type: Full-Time||Location: Positions open in our Vancouver, WA or Eugene, OR offices only|
Competitive salary, full benefits, and excellent retirement plan available.
Qualified applicants should visit the Careers section of our website at www.obec.com to download the REQUIRED APPLICATION FORM for completion; include your resume, to office location your are most interested in working at, and submit by email to email@example.com.
OBEC Consulting Engineers is committed to being an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Persons with a Disability. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to protected veteran status and disability status. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, veteran status, disability status, or another other characteristic protected by law.